Fine, fine. You want to know? He was
more noble; more brilliant; and more athletic than me. Just...
All of the above is true, but I was always the better
communicator; the more imaginative one;
and much more introspective (or perhaps just self-absorbed).
An apple lying in the shadow of its tree.
- Lines one to three should contain three connected or contrasting statements, or a list of three details, names or possibilities. This can take up all of the three lines or be contained anywhere within them.
- Lines four to six should similarly have three elements (statements, details, names, or possibilities) connected directly or indirectly or not at all.
- The seventh line should act as a narrative summary or punchline or an unusual juxtaposition.
- While there are no set metrical rules, because of its form, some rhythm, meter and/or rhyme is desirable.
- The visual structure of the form is two stanzas of three lines, with a solitary seventh line last line.
- Titles are not required. The original convention was to title the sevenling: “Sevenling (followed by the first few words in parentheses)”, but the form has evolved to other title conventions including dropping “Sevenling” completely from the title.
- Sevenling should be mysterious, offbeat or disturbing, giving a feeling that only part of the story is being told.
17 thoughts on “Core, or: Seeded”
Brilliant, David! I had to read it twice, but I think I get it! 🙂 Self-effacing as usual. Charming as usual, too! ❤ All the best!
🤍 Cheryl – thanks 🤍
much to ponder here!!💖💖💖
never squander the opportunity to ponder the yonder!
precisely my friend.💖
I like sevenlings and this one is good. I suspected an apple connection from the picture but loved the last line anyway! It would have had more of a punch without the foreshadowing…
Yeah… I do have a tendency to be Captain Obvious!
I confess! 😀
I needed to read this through a few times as it holds so much! Very thought provoking!
Thank you, Carol!
Might this be in memory of your father, David?
It is, yes ❤
“Яблоко от яблони…”
❤ Grace, thank you so much ❤
My pleasure 💕