Poetry Partners #4
‘The Footbridge’, a poem by Michael L. Utley of ‘Silent Pariah’
That derelict footbridge Has finally failed Stranding us on Opposite shores Of the abyss Words Like rotted planks Litter the gorge Below Desires and dreams Dashed Upon indifferent rocks Silence is all I hear from you Subdued echoes Of regret Perish In opaque mists Impenetrable To starlight And hope The absence Of closure Rooting me In place Heart seized By fear And uncertainty Did you turn And walk away Or did you Plummet Like our words Into the Sepulchral gulf And must I Remain here Forever Waiting for The answer which will Never come
- Mike L. Utley: https://silentpariah.com/
A poem by ben Alexander of ‘The Skeptic’s Kaddish’
A poem in ‘The Bridges’ form
Our answers, flighty dancers, playfully flitting; Those who wait forever can oft be found sitting At morrow's edge; Yearning for comforts, illusions desirable, P'raps suspecting they're unreliable ~ That there's no ledge; Wooden planks plunge away through thick mists to the ground, But noticing ~ oddly, splintering with no sound ~ They are not real; Come, let's fill the silence, create reality; We're rendering, in actuality, The cards fate deals; So, do not fear your power; speak your truth aloud; Never let uncertainty leave you rooted, cowed ~ Your soul endures; Answers shall prance past you ~ go grab one and tame it; Sepulchre or trampoline ~ you name it! This life is yours.
Rules for ‘The Bridges’
- Stanzaic, written in any number of sixains;
- L1,L2, L4 of each stanza is iambic hexameter;
- L5 iambic pentameter; and
- L3 and L6 are dimeter;
- Rhymed, rhyme scheme aabccb, ddeffe, etc.
Let’s write poetry together!
When it comes to partnership, some humans can make their lives alone – it’s possible. But creatively, it’s more like painting: you can’t just use the same colours in every painting. It’s just not an option. You can’t take the same photograph every time and live with art forms with no differences.–Ben Harper (b. 1969)
Would you like to create poetry with me and have a completed poem of yours featured here at the Skeptic’s Kaddish? I am very excited to have launched the ‘Poetry Partners’ initiative and am looking forward to meeting and creating with you… Check it out!
List of Poetry Partners
- Murisopsis of ‘A Different Perspective’
- Judy Dykstra-Brown of ‘LifeLessons’
- Jennifer Patino of ‘Thistle Thoughts’
- Mike L. Utley of ‘Silent Pariah’
- Barbara Schaefer of ‘solitary 4 tomorrow’
- Ron Rowland of ‘Navigating This Thing We Call Life’
- Cheyenne MacMasters: of ‘Cheyenne Paints’
- Rae Cod of ‘Rae Cod’s Writing’
- Eric Erb of ‘erbiage’