My 1st Arkquain Swirl
Perhaps I will become a ray of sunshine, to be embraced by your colours. I will paint myself on your canvas.–Amrita Pritam (1919 – 2005)
I've become one ray of quiet sunshine Hoary and modern histories of Jerusalem refract me like precious gems beneath sandaled feet I paint myself on her streets and gold walls every morning on the bus to work Beaming, I step down eager for the brand new day as I watch it pull away towards downtown The grand, pre-State building that I work in catches my glow in its warm embrace Oh, to paint myself in suggestive strokes of us on your beckoning canvas my proud privilege Thus, history's apprentice master son
#TankaTuesday No. 276
Colleen Chesebro invites us to take a photo and write syllabic poems about our day.
d’Verse: Women are people: Invoking Amrita Pritam
At d’Verse, poets were invited to use any one of Amrita Pritam’s five lines below as an epigraph or springboard for their verse, in forms of their choice. For this prompt, we are asked to mention Amrita Pritam as the source of our inspiration.
- When a man denies the power of women, he is denying his subconscious.
- Like an offering at the altar of the spirit, our names slipping out of our lips, became a sacred hymn.
- (There are) many stories which are not on paper, they are written in the bodies and minds of women.
- Perhaps I will become a ray of sunshine, to be embraced by your colours. I will paint myself on your canvas.
- Look further on ahead, there between truth and falsehood, a little empty space.
Let’s write poetry together!
When it comes to partnership, some humans can make their lives alone – it’s possible. But creatively, it’s more like painting: you can’t just use the same colours in every painting. It’s just not an option. You can’t take the same photograph every time and live with art forms with no differences.–Ben Harper (b. 1969)
Would you like to create poetry with me and have a completed poem of yours featured here at the Skeptic’s Kaddish? I am very excited to have launched the ‘Poetry Partners’ initiative and am looking forward to meeting and creating with you… Check it out!