A ‘Wiggle Waggle’ poem
Never much cared for fashion; Never thought to wear a handkerchief; A casual guy, None took me for fly; Reflection and thought were my passions- Inner matters of the heart. My father's eyes weren't dry When he tucked you into my jacket- Performed this action With feigned dispassion; I knew him well enough to comply On the eve of my wedding.
- Two stanzas;
- Six lines per stanza;
- The two stanzas contradict one another;
- Stanza 1: axbbax
- Stanza 2: bxaabx
- Stanza 1: 7/9/5/5/9/7
- Stanza 2: 7/9/5/5/9/7
W3 poetry prompt
This ‘Wiggle Waggle’ poem was written in response to Michelle Ayon Navajas’ W3 poetry prompt this week, which is:
- Take out your handkerchief (yes, the one in your pocket right now- no cheating).
- Remember that during the Renaissance period, a handkerchief was considered to be a powerful symbol of a woman. Giving this item to a woman meant true love, honesty, commitment, and righteousness.
- If by chance you don’t have a handkerchief, explore your creative side and imagine you are holding one right now.
- Write an ode to your handkerchief (or make-believe handkerchief). Make it sound like a love ode.
Let’s write poetry together!
When it comes to partnership, some humans can make their lives alone – it’s possible. But creatively, it’s more like painting: you can’t just use the same colours in every painting. It’s just not an option. You can’t take the same photograph every time and live with art forms with no differences.–Ben Harper (b. 1969)
Would you like to create poetry with me and have a completed poem of yours featured here at the Skeptic’s Kaddish? I am very excited to have launched the ‘Poetry Partners’ initiative and am looking forward to meeting and creating with you… Check it out!
44 thoughts on “Feigned dispassion, or: The eve of my wedding”
Wow. A lovely reminiscence. And that handkerchief? Is it still help in respect?
💕🙏🏻 Muri 🙏🏻💕 ~ TBH, I have no idea where it is
A warm wiggle waggle!❤️
💗🙏🏻 Punam 🙏🏻💗 ~ thank you
ach die Abgruende …
Bitte klären Sie Ihre beabsichtigte Bedeutung, Freund 🤍
mmh, just wrote what stood out – a joyful moment, feigned dispassion, you complying, your dad’s look, relationship was bumpy, not a good son (you have used that phrase before and it breaks my heart) – a sense of even a joyful moment has quite an underbelly… ?
💞 Barbara 💞 ~ thank you
PS ‘Freund’ geht im Dt nicht fuer eine Frau – got to be Freundin 🙂
it’s not the feminist thing, it’s more to do with the general gendering of nouns, I think 🙂
for sure – I always prefer to be accurate with language!
That’s a wonderful memory. (K)
💚🙏🏻 Kerfe 🙏🏻💚 ~ yes, it was, thank you